Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Craft for a Cause 2010



I am going to share with you something I haven't really talked about on here before. I have been so blessed in my life to be a part of many wonderful experiences and organizations. For the past 3 summers I have packed my bags and headed out to the beautiful state of Colorado. There I spend 2 weeks in August with a wonderful group of people. The program I have been working with is called:

The Children's Hospital Burn Camp Program

For the past 3 years I have come to love the Children's Hospital Burn Camp Program. This program is designed for children who have suffered a burn injury and are learning to cope with the aftermath of the injury. These children are given the opportunity to come to the beautiful mountains in Estes Park Colorado. During this week long camp the children learn life skills that help them to be successful during the program as well as when they go home.

This organization has opened the doors for these children to meet others who have been in similar experiences and see that just because they have gone through something terrible they can grown into something wonderful. The past 3 years I have donated my time by working at this camp in the arts and crafts cabin as well as working with the 8-12 year old girls. To see these kids express themselves in art and find new talents in the process is both rewarding and humbling.

When I came home from camp this year I told myself that I would try and be more involved in the program outside of those 2 weeks a year I spend with them. I was given an opportunity to do this by helping to design the invitations and the save the date reminders that went out this year for the 3rd Annual Children's Hospital Burn Camps Program Dinner and Auction!!

After I helped with that I found out that Joann Craft Store was holding another contest.
(Last time I entered a Joann's craft contest I was disappointed)
This time I am donating my contest entry to be auctioned off to help raise money to send kids to camp for next year!! So any way you look at it, it is a positive thing.

Joann is hosting a Craft for a Cause contest for 2010.

Here is the scoop:

Crafters — Enter to Win $1,500 Gift Card
· Using materials purchased from Jo-Ann make and donate useful crafted items to your favorite charitable organization. Experience the satisfaction of giving!
· Submit photo of each donation — crafted items will be judged for prizes!
· The makers of the top five crafted items will each win a $1,500 Jo-Ann gift card.
*Judged on creativity, quality & functionality for the charitable organization receiving item.


Here is what I came up with...
I decided to crochet a lap blanket of the Children's Hospital Burn Camps Program's Logo!! I think I put in over 50 hours on this project. I hope it goes for big money, lets send lots of kids to camp this next year :)


If you are interested in finding out more about The Children's Hospital Burn Camps Program or how you can donate

visit this link noordinarycamps.org






Burn Camp 2009 - This photo was taken right after play day with one of my favorite buddies from camp. (just imagine a field day that ends with a massive shaving cream fight)

2 comments:

The Matthews Family October 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

Oh wow, absolutely gorgeous! What great work you do Ashley! And it sounds like a great cause. Oh, and P.S. I miss you! We need to hang out ASAP!

Erin October 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Ashley, you amaze me at everything you do.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP