Friday, February 10, 2012

The Practical Valentine Gift

My husband is a very practical man. He loves things that are going to be useful as well as inexpensive. I think that is why I have finally come to realize our idea of romance is quite different from each others perspectives. So this year I have tried to put myself in his shoes so that I can be more "practical" with my gift giving. 

As I was pondering over the practical gifts I could give him I noticed his bike lock bag was falling apart at the seams... in every literal sense of the word. (You can see from the photo below that it's true.) 
I decided that it couldn't be too hard to just make him a new one. So when I was at the dollar store I came across this black and red backpack. Now keep in mind it was made out of a very cheep rain poncho type of plastic and the back of the bag was lined with thin styrofoam and the same material as reusable grocery bags. I knew if I used enough layers of this I could make it work.  
Besides what did I have to lose except a dollar and a little bit of time. :)


The poor little thing had so many holes in it I was surprised he hadn't lost his lock already. 

I started the process by disassembling the bag piece by piece. 
I cut the straps off, unpicked all the seams, salvaged the zippers, and ended up with a big flat piece that would work for most of the bag. 
 After all of that I realized that I needed an accurate pattern so I unpicked all the seams to the bike bag itself and used it as a pattern. Needless to say it worked out awesomely!! Wahoo for success.




And the hubby said he likes it and I did a very fine job :) 


Happy "Practical" Valentines Everyone!






3 comments:

Ash February 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM  

Where is your magical dollar store? Mine doesn't sell anything project worth like yours!

Nice job! It came out looking very professional and store bought! Love the idea!

Tami February 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM  

Is there anything you can't do? Amazing!!

Ashley Moore February 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM  

I shop at the local Dollar Tree for most of my projects. I know that not all Dollar Tree's have the same items so sometimes you just have to buy it when you see it. :)

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP