Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dressing for Success

For the last few months I have been encouraging the girls at church to come learn how to sew with me. They are usually the ones that get to see the skirts I make and they have shown some interest in making their own.

Finally Sabrina took me up on my offer...
this beautiful girl asked if I would help her sew her dress for prom.

Sabrina brought me a photo of what type of dress she wanted and we started planning.
Going off of a photo and the limited sewing knowledge that I have we decided to get started.

I guess you could say I am kind of a crazy person because:

1. I didn't have a pattern
2. I have never sewn anything larger than a skirt
3. I have never sewn in a zipper
4. I have never sewn with silk, satin, or tulle
5. I have never taken measurements for myself or anyone else
6. I have never sewn any clothing for anyone other than myself
7. I have never actually taught anyone how to sew
8. Oh and did I mention we had about a week and a half to sew it all!!

So there was a lot going against us... but we accepted the adventure and we got started!!

Here is the photo inspiration for our dress... Totally Modest has some really awesome dresses. You should check them out.


Sabrina wanted a rounded neckline, floor length gown, and a red sash instead of pink.

Here is the beautiful Sabrina holding up the
top of the dress and pressing some of the seams.

Lots of sewing, planing and prep...
a few mistakes and some good lessons learned.
thumbs up = so far so good :)

Our little work space... lots of pinning, gathering and more planning
And here is the final product!!
Total cost of the dress $35
Lessons learned ... about a million and two. :)

Doesn't she look beautiful!! Such a cute girl.
We made a little hair accessory and a flower instead of a bow for the sash.
I really like this addition.

The back of the dress
Thank goodness for youtube videos to help us get the zipper right!!!


Well done Sabrina!! Hope you had a fun time and learned a lot.
Thanks for trusting me with such an important project.


Just remember
Craft Hard




5 comments:

Melynda King March 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM  

AWESOME job! Sabrina looks beautiful! And you are
A M A Z I N G !!!!!

Jillian March 24, 2011 at 2:31 AM  

Yay! I'm glad it turned out so cute and that you were able to git 'r dun!!

Anonymous March 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM  

Dang girls, you guys rock!! I can't believe it!! Love how you just dove right in and went for it!

imacarr March 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM  

That is amazing and very adventurous!! Way to go!!

Emily February 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

Wow! It's gorgeous! Great job! :)

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP