Friday, July 9, 2010

-Operation- Cake Topper

One of my very good friends, named Jenn, has a brother who is getting married next month. One day while I was hanging out with Jenn she got a phone call from her soon to be sister-in-law, I could tell something was wrong just by the look on Jenn's face.
It turned out that her sister-in-law had her heart set on an awesome handmade snowboarding character cake topper for their wedding cake. The bid had just come back and it was going to cost them around $400 for it. It was way out of the price range they wanted to pay. Jenn and I were talking about it and she just happened to ask if I did anything with clay.

Suddenly I was taken back to my childhood days, the first time I really got to play with clay...
It was a thing of Crayola Model Magic. Just the fantastic white stuff that dries when you leave it out. I begged my mom to buy me some and she did. She left me at the kitchen table to work on my new project. I think I was around 7 or 8 years old. When she came back I had made 2 little characters... she asked if Crayola had put little figures in the kit for kids to try and duplicate. I told her that I had made them out of my imagination. She couldn't believe it.
After that I started to work on clay pins and sold them to teachers at school and other women in the area. I even had my own booth at a craft show. (By that time I was 12 years old I think) But after awhile I stopped working with clay. So much of it was fragile and would break very easily. I got sick of super gluing my hard work back together. I hadn't touched my clay stuff in about 7 years when Jenn asked me if I worked with clay.


I decided it was time to pull it out again and help a friend in need.
(Besides this was going to make someone very happy for their wedding!!)

Here is the supper cute couple!!

Starting the form and making sure they have something sturdy to hold them up.

They look kinda scary without eyes... Yikes

That's better.

The final product!!!
After 3 very long days of working on these guys...
two very tired, bruised, oven burned, and sore hands later.

What do ya think?

5 comments:

Bonnie and Joel July 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

Oh my Gosh!!! That is talent lol how cute!!!

Jenn July 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

150% amazing! I LOVE them, and I'm sure Jason and Lisa will keep them forever. Too cool!

Scott and Jillian July 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Those are awesome, Ashley!!

Kristen July 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

haha, that's cool!

Lyndsay Lynch July 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

Ash--
I remember your creations- I loved them! These are pasted amazing! You are amazing, Very cool- Is there anything you can't do? I don't think so. LOve ya, Mandy

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP