Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Texas Wedding

Recently my awesome brother-in-law got married.
I have to admit when he asked me to do the wedding photography I was both honored and terrified. It's a very rare occasion when I play both parts of being in front of the camera as well as behind it. Knowing this information I really wanted to do a great job for them but I also wanted to look nice since I would be in the wedding. I needed something that would fit comfortably as well as look
awesome through out the day and into the evening.


I started my search a few months before the wedding and I found the perfect dress... from Shabby Apple!! I love the beautiful clothes they have but I couldn't really afford to spend
$100 + on a dress. (Not in my student friendly budget)
So I decided that I would try and make one for myself.
Here is the absolutely beautiful dress called Black Oak.
Step 1: Ask the about the wedding colors.
My brother-in-law told me the wedding colors were brown, gold, and auburn. So I planned on making my dress dark chocolate brown color. Turns out you should really ask the bride what the wedding colors are because they ended up being bright red, yellow, and cream.

Step 2: Get to work.
I gave myself a budget and a timeline and got right to work. There were a few learning curves with this dress but I was excited to see if I could pull it off. The new things I learned were:
- How to sew in a side zipper
- How to make those cool little ruffle strips
- How to sew in a hidden pocket
- How to make a cute cuff hem

Step 3: Accessorize
I knew I wanted a cute gold chunky belt to go with this but I didn't want to spend a lot on it so I went to Good Will. I found this awesome snakeskin belt and I cut it down to make it a high waisted belt. To do that I just trimmed the end off and used a metal punch to make a new hole for the buckle to fit. I also used black permanent marker on the end of the trim to make it look finished.
I also found this great necklace there for $2.50!! I love a great deal.

Step 4: Put it all together.
For the fabric, thread, zipper, necklace and belt I spent a total of $3o!! It worked out perfectly for the wedding (even though I didn't match the wedding colors) it was comfortable and cute! I can't wait to try out my next project.




Here are a few photos from the wedding!!


Also on a very fun note my amazingly talented friend in Ohio is hosting a sewing contest!! I was so excited about it and I think you will be too. Come support me in my adventure or join in the fun. Click on the button below for more info.





10 comments:

nikki November 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

talented!! You know, Shabby has some pretty cute stuff, but their construction is HORRIBLE. I really can't stand how expensive they are for such crappy quality. So I'm sure you win with your dress... in cost, construction and experience :)

Krista Atkinson November 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Your talents never cease to amaze me! I don't think there is anything you can't do! I love seeing your amazing creations! You and your dress look beautiful!

Patti November 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

Ashley, You are one amazing amazing woman! I love how you tackle so many things, learning and growing along the way! You look truly beautiful, as well!

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight November 14, 2011 at 5:38 AM  

ASH!!! I LOVE THIS! I was looking through the entries for the contest and I saw your pic and I was like "That looks like Ashley!" and I clicked and it was you!! ha ha You did such a great job! I absolutely love it!! :)

Love you guys!!

Bethany November 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

Ashley, that dress is amazing! You are amazing!!

Lexie December 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

Congrats on making So you think you can Sew! Your project is one of my favorites, I can't wait to see what you make. :D

Lexie

Marie December 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

Beautiful dress! I want one! Maybe after the holidays I'll give it a try!

Unknown December 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

love that dress! I may have to see if I can make that for my daughter she would look adorable in it!
Thanks for sharing

Joel and Chantell December 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM  

Are you kidding me?? You are AMAZING girl! I cannot believe how talented you are. What I'd give for your sewing skills! :) It turned out so cute and love the way you accessorized. Well done :)

Jillian January 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM  

I actually like your version of the dress better than Shabby Apple's!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP